Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Grandma's Hands




I can remember many nights at at Grandma & Grandpa's when I was 5 or 6 years old, getting to spend the night there with Cousin Steve while our parents went out for the evening.  We'd sit  on the brown "davenport" watching Hee-Haw; the metal embroidery hoops in our little hands.  I don't remember ever stitching anything in particular, just the feel of the needle & thread being pulled through the taut cotton fabric.  I remember thinking it was the most natural thing in the world to have Steve sewing with me, drinking our "mixed drink" of Kool-Aid & Sprite and looking over each other's shoulders to see who's stitches were better.  It never dawned on me that this wasn't what all little boys & girls did at their grandmas' house.

It makes me smile now to think of 6-year old Steve with his little embroidery hoop too - nothing unusual about that at all. 

When I was home over Christmas, I spent a day with Grandma.  I had her re-teach me all the different embroidery stitches she'd taught me as a little girl (but I'd forgotten).  It was so nice to be able to sit quietly with her, hear stories of her childhood, and just watch her work effortlessly, creating colorful pieces.  Her creativity is beautiful, but in a way that is not appreciated like those who create pieces that will hang in galleries for hundreds to see.  Her creativity is in her baking, her sewing, her gardening.  She isn't showy about her talents, simply humble.

2 comments:

melodie said...

Here is what I wrote but didn't get posted..something like..

this post reminds me a little of Hula girl. I was moved by it. I am interested in seeing your needle work.. what are you working on?

Unknown said...

I love re- reading this story. When I read this story it puts me back at the same age learning stitches the same way. I feel like in that time Grandma knew she was sharing her special knowledge with us. I remember having those moments with Kellen, where I never questioned it but I sat at her side learning about the simplicity of life. I really like to think of those moments when life seems so overwhelming.

Just letting you know I was being a creeper tonight and reading your blog from a long time ago... well the beginning of 2009.

Miss you, cant wait to see you very soon over the holidays.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...