Tuesday, August 30, 2011

In storage

A couple of weeks ago, I was flying back to New York from Nashville, sitting in the gate area at the airport, flipping through the September issue of Country Living Magazine.  When I turned page 93 to see these rooms below with the old Dick & Jane posters, I threw down the magazine & picked up the phone to call my mom.  

When I was growing up, we had a few of these posters and even then they were "my precious antiques."  I remember just staring at them for the longest time when I was little.  
They always made me feel safe and happy.  

As the phone was ringing, I just knew that these would have been among the things that Mom would have thrown away over the years (like, ahem...her wedding dress), but I had a glimmer of hope, thinking that maybe she remembered how much I loved those.  I was so surprised when she told me within seconds of me asking, that she knew exactly where they were and they were safely tucked away.

Reason number 5,235 for a country house - to have the room to display these AWESOME bits of educational history.

3 comments:

Cappuccinoandartjournal.blogspot.com said...

Whew--happy she saved them for you. Did you write letters during the storm?

stephrudolph said...

I did! 18 of them - but I just got YOURS back in the mail to me today - apparently I didn't make it clear enough that it was TO you & FROM me...will put in the mail again tomorrow.

Cappuccinoandartjournal.blogspot.com said...

Well! I am having a bad mail week so I will be looking forward to your mail. And I am happy you put all that time in the storm to such good use. 18 letters? I am impressed.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...